Saturday, February 10, 2007

Back Again, Part II

Oh wow! What an incredibly busy last few days it has been!

I've missed my bed, my pillows, the stupid cat that curls up on my chest and tucks it's head against mine, purring herself to sleep, while I, myself, am trying to catch some shut-eye. I've missed my INTERNET and the ability to blog whenever I feel like it about random crap. And I've missed my family, although it's not as bad as I thought it would be when I first decided to get a job in GJ.

Last night was my first night on the actual floor, taking care of residents, and learning the routine of the place. There are some highs and some definite, definite, lows! The toileting and all that wasn't too bad, although it can get pretty stinky. But nothing, nothing, NOTHING, will EVER beat the raunchiest, nastiest, stench I have ever had the misfortune of smelling - that of "burping" a colostomy bag.

For those of you that don't know, a colostomy bag is a what is placed over a surgical incision in the stomach after some re-routing has been done, when people cannot poop out of their anus anymore. They basically crap through their stomach. This bag fills with stool and intestinal gases; the gases inflate the bag and it has to been routinely "burped." This is accomplished by lifting the snap connecting the bag to the base. The air that comes out of there, wooshes into your face and to be honest, my stomach is churning again just thinking about it. The lead CNA, my trainer, anticipated this and moved to the opposite side of the bag before telling me to snap it open, which I did. She must have been expecting my reaction because as she was laughing, watching me turn green, she told me to "GO!" - which I was already doing. I had to run into the hall and puke in the trash can...

Other than that; however, things went really good. It's going to take time to learn each of the resident's individual needs and learn who they are - not just the names and room numbers, although that will take some time as well. Once I learn the latter part of that, charting will be quite simple - the program they use is easy to master but you do have to know certain things about each resident. Getting my own routine will come with time, as well as getting used to being on my feet for 12+ hours.

I'm definitely a hurtin' unit today, physically... which I was told will last about two months. But I feel like a part of me is being fulfilled now that I'm finally in the line of work that I've always wanted to be in. I still have some insecurities and concerns, but I think they will fade with time. And after going back through the night (with the exception of the puking incident) in an objective mind frame... it hit me that I AM going to be a great CNA. The other people who have told me this weren't just blowing smoke up my butt. I really do have a way with these people and I found myself getting irritated with the trainer because she... doesn't have as much compassion and patience as she should with some of them. I don't know. I really liked her and I definitely am learning some handy "tricks of the trade" from her, so I don't want to bad-talk her or anything... I just know I'm going to be handling some things differently I guess.

I HAVE to find a place of my own down there and soon, too. Right now, that is probably my biggest stress/concern. It took me a little over two hours to get home today.

I got up yesterday at 4pm, got a shower, yadah, yadah, and was at work by quarter till 6pm. Worked until 6:30am, dropped my aunt's stethoscope off at her house, and hit the road. The 45 minute drive from GJ to Rxxxx is a massive blur in my mind, even now. I remember jerking a few times and I knew I had started to fall asleep which scared the ever-lovin' shit out of me. I know I was swerving around the road a bit and when cars got too close to me, it made me really nervous. I stopped in Rxxxx to get some breakfast and caffeine which did the trick. The last hour I didn't have any problems staying awake... but the first half of my trip has really made me nervous. I think I might email my father and ask him for some help to get into a place of my own. I really don't want to, but I can pay him back the loan and I'd rather dump my pride and ask for help, then wind up in a car accident that may have serious consequences. It's become more of a safety issue, than an independence one at this point. The start-up costs are what is hard but if I can just get ahead of the game there, I'll be fine with managing my bills and paying back a loan for the deposit as I'll have first month's rent with this upcoming check. Ack! The stress of this matter is the only "down" side I'm really having at this point.

Anyway, I do believe I'm going to enjoy working at this place. Like any place, they have their issues and things that need to be better, they have the snotty women, etc. but overall, it seems great and I'm excited. Plus, Mindy (the lead CNA) told me that I was one of the best CNAs she's ever had to train. Since she's been there for five years and it was said after the puking incident, it really meant a lot :).

I went to Wal-Mart to get socks and ended up walking out with the socks, plus a diaper bag, two baby outfits, a package of "footy pajamas," a baby blanket, three bibs: "Where's My Grandma?" "Skip the Green Beans, Just Pass the Pudding!" and "I Can Be Bribed With Cookies," and a stuffed Valentine's Day dog - Ashley's first appointment with the OB/GYN doctor is Wednesday, February 14th. Her theme is Precious Moment's Noah's Ark and I couldn't pass up the really cute baby animal stuff I found! Besides, it is my perogative as the auntie to spoil my nephew/niece as much as I want (it's so going to be a boy though!). My parents aren't blameless either. My dad bought her a Precious Moments baby book, they picked up an outfit for the baby, a picture frame that says "Jesus Loves Me" in colorful, building blocks, and two bibs: "I Love Grandma" and "I Love Grandpa." They also got her a maternity top that is adorable and two pairs of jeans. She normally wears a 4/5, but she can't wear them anymore - she barely has room in the 9/10's they got for her (lol). Looks like the spoiling has begun! And it's obvious my dad is coming around and getting more and more excited. My mom had already picked up everything and said, "okay, we're done." To which he replied, "no we're not." Then proceeded to meander around Wal-Mart until he found the baby section and promptly got what he was looking for - the baby book.

Chad is also coming around although he's being a COWARD and keeps making excuses to not come visit with my parents. But at least he's gone from not wanting this baby at all, to feeling Ashley's stomach and showing an interest in what is going on and what she has to do. He helped her fill out a bunch of paperwork for medical stuff and what-not. Now if he would sac up, quit the damn drinking, and come sit down and chat with my parents... I think things would be going quite well on that end of things :).

I told my mom that she and Ashley have to make all future doctor appointments with Dr. R, the OB/GYN on Mondays or Tuesdays from now on. The first one is on Wednesday at 10:00am which is kind of going to suck for me. I don't want to miss any of her appointments, much less the first one. But it's going to short me on sleep for the graveyard ahead, but oh well - it will be worth it! We're getting the first ultrasound done so yay!

Anyway, I'm wiped out. I took about a four hour nap this afternoon but that was it and it's now almost 12:30pm. I've got church in the morning and the Tylenol PM I took is starting to kick in. It has a pain relief ingredient in it which I hope kicks in any time. My back is frickin' killing me and so is the ankle I broke in the fifth grade. It's okay though, because it IS worth it and it's totally added just that much more fuel to the fire for me to get my LPN (Licensed Pratical Nurse) and maybe my RN (Registered Nurse) after that.

We shall see. I'm learning to stop trying to second guess what life is going to throw at you because just when you think you know, a curveball comes your way!

In any case, I've missed you all and I can't wait to catch up on your journals and see what I've missed, which I'll be doing tomorrow. Hope all is well! :)

7 comments:

Memphis said...

I'm glad that you're getting to do what you want to do. That's a good feeling in a career. But I'm sorry to hear how you're having to run and sleep when you can and all. That must be exhausting. I may have to do that same soon, just to get us out of Memphis, but it still remains to be seen for now.

I appreciate you coming back and expressing your thoughts about me leaving. I haven't decided, but it's a really good feeling to know that someone doesn't want me to go. I thank you for that.

Anonymous said...

Ummm, new rule. No stinky updates allowed.

You do need your own place.

Have alot of fun with the baby stuff, but don't go running yourself into the ground with everything. Be careful you Auntie-Amber will be too pooped to play.

Unknown said...

and I misspelled my own name. Sheesh.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first day of your new career. So proud of you!

Mr. Guinness said...

Well, can't say that CNA is going on my "Top ten jobs to try" list, but I really am glad there are folks like you willing to take up the slack! The idea of going further is great, it's a dream you can make happen, so go and do it and don't listen to anyone who says you can't!

Steph said...

Burping a colostomy bag? Oh babe, that takes the cake! I do believe people like you are special indeed. I could NEVER do that.

Also, amake sure you're getting enough sleep. How do you think i broke my collarbone, arm and two ribs?

Staci said...

I couldnt help but notice you commented on the Blonde Menace. We are going to be involved in a law suit and if you know anything you may be called to testify. Please email me if you have any information.