Sunday, December 31, 2006

An End to One Year (and the beginning of a new one!)

2006 has passed so quickly - it's hard to separate the years the older you get, they are just blurring into one big passage of time and it's c-r-a-z-y!

In 2006, I embarked on the Great Adventure of moving in with my sister. We did well setting up our own home and learning to live with one another, outside of parental influences... for a time. As badly as it ended because of the Psycho Roommate, I'm glad I got that experience. Ashley and I had many nights where we would snuggle together, watching movies, talking for hours, and laughing over shared childhood memories.

Plus, there was that one time where she made some smartass remark to me (can't really say anything about that, she learned it from the best, HA!) and I took off after her. Ended up tackling her on the bed and tickling her until we were both out of breath and laughing so hard that we thought we were going to pee our pants. Then the war was on for who could get out of the tangle of sheets, blankets, and pillows first to make it to the bathroom.

She and I have had our ups and downs and I still get frustrated with her and concerned for her at times. But I've had to learn to not let anger, frustration, disappointment, etc. cloud pure, undiluted, love. We have a bond that was born of blood and strengthened through trials, tragedies, triumphs, the growing pains of growing up and living life. There's nothing more precious than that.

I went to Iowa and did a one week internship with an international evangelist who has a miracle ministry. And the things I learned there have played an enormous role in opening my eyes as to what God has in store for me. It was also amazing to see all of the details on what goes into making a ministry work. There's more to it than what you would think, that's for sure!

I got fired from my first job ever; something that was definitely rough to go through. But in the end, it turned out for the best because it spurred me to go through CNA class/clinicals and go back to school for my Medical Assistant Degree. I've got two more lessons to get through with that and my state test to take January 6th for my nursing assistant certification - but I'm almost there.

I've learned to accept my grief over my brother and realized that I don't have to be strong for everyone else. Each of us are allowed to cry, or not cry, whenever we need to. The haze of shock that 2005 passed in has cleared and although it still hurts, it's lessened by the fact that I know he's in a better place and that we will see him again.

I got through a broken heart and am a stronger woman because of it. I've learned that it's okay to have standards and not lower them for the first passing guy who shows an interest.

It's been a year of growth and of stepping into the confusing, exciting, frustrating, and rewarding role of being an adult. Of being a woman.

I've got a good feeling about 2007; I've decided that NO MATTER WHAT it brings - it will be a good great year!

I'm planning a move to Tulsa, Oklahoma in the fall. It's not where I would like to go, I much prefer the coastline of Washington and Oregon. It's beautiful and rainy and God only knows how much I love the rain. But for some reason, I feel like I'm being called to go there and all I can do is follow gut instincts. Who knows what adventure lies there? And it's not like it's permanent - there are few things in life that are, especially mine. What is one day, isn't the next and vice versa. In any case, I feel like that's where I'm supposed to go, at least for a year, so I'm going to try it out and see what happens.

I absolutely hate falling into cliches, but I have a few New Year's Resolutions that I plan on doing:

1.) I am going to be a NON-SMOKER. I'm tired of the asthma, lung infections, sinus infections, and this latest - my first round with pneumonia which seriously sucked ass. I don't want the health complications of smoking so I HAVE to quit.

2.) This is the year I become a shape OTHER than round. I plan on putting my treadmill to good use. Dammit. (haha)

3.) I am going to take every opportunity I can to step out of my comfort zone and do the things that make me shrink back on the inside. Like river rafting and sticking up for myself against people that intimidate me.

There's more that has happened this last year and more that I want for the year that is two hours and eight minutes away (MST), but I have four cousins here, including Little Shadow who keeps running around the table I am sitting at saying, "cousin, cousin, cousin." I think she's wanting some attention.

So it's off the computer I go for now. I wish you all a happy, healthy, prosperous, and exciting New Year! 2007 is full of awaiting opportunity, dreams to be realized, and adventure to be had.

Last, but not least... thank you all! You all are wonderful, amazing people and you have blessed my life in so many ways. Thank you for your continued support and friendship; you all are the best! :)

3 comments:

M said...

everyone seems to have accomplished so much except me! oh dear, I think my new years resolution is to accomplish something so I can write about it in 2008. yep.

As for your resolutions - I fully support them - especially #1 because smoking sucks the life out of you. Good luck hon!

Mr. Guinness said...

Nicely said. I too am sure a GREAT 2007 will put a lousy 2006 in perspective for all of us. The life we really want is out there it's just somebody burned the damn road map to get there!
I look forward to following your blog in '07, and I know you'll find your way to "your" future.
:)

Unknown said...

Evangalists scare me.