Sunday, January 21, 2007

Another Decision, 2007

I made the decision tonight that I'm turning my two weeks notice in at the Hotel. I was going to try and "hang in there" until I moved to GJ, but I just can't handle the drama any more. The petty cat fights where people try to force everyone onto "their" side, the drugs, the drunken outbursts, the physical violence. I am so disgusted by all of it. Really, how obnoxious can one group of people be?! Not only that, but I am now an MA/CNA - licensed and educated to work in the medical field, even if it is at the entry level. I'll get a few months experience and when I move to GJ, at least it won't be the first time I've worked in the medical field.

I didn't think I'd like working with the elderly. I didn't think I'd have the patience or know how to communicate well with them, set them at ease while performing personal duties for them, etc. But I surprised myself with how comfortable I was and how naturally it all came. I'm not "being conceited" but Brea gave me one of the best compliments when, one day while doing our rounds together, she remarked that, "I am learning so much just by watching you! You are great with the residents and the patients in the hospital." It made my day the day she said it and every time I've thought about it since. I have wanted to be a nurse for a very long time and I've got my foot in the door now - why not walk through it? There's nothing stopping me. I busted my ass in order to unlock that door. Now it's no longer closed and I've put it off for a few weeks now... so no more.

It feels like a big weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that I made the decision to just do it.

That's all I really have for right now. My brain is not functioning much at the moment as I had a 10 hour shift today. And had to sort out the absolute MESS that my co-worker, G, left. While everyone else has switched to the computer system I set up, she decided to completely ignore it for the last four days and use the paper system.

There were reservations not put into the computer, payments taken that were't recorded in their record, no invoices were printed whatsoever. It was ridiculous. Then there was a HUGE box of filing that hadn't been done so I had to get all of that taken care of. TweakerBoss has to get all the 2006 receipts/invoices/etc. filed away to open it up for all the stuff in 2007. G didn't touch it. Then she locked the office door knowing full well that the Cafe is closed on Sundays and the Assistant Manager wouldn't be in at 5:30am to unlock it for us. Nobody else has keys. Said Assistant Manager who has a drinking problem was so hungover that she refused to answer her phone. So Kristin had to go beat on her door to get the keys so that we could get into the office to, you know, WORK! I swear, G does not have an ounce of common sense. And it has been an exercise in patience to try and train her the last few weeks. Today was proof that she's STILL not getting it. Part of me feels sorry for her as I know it has to be difficult to be a slow learner and feel out of her element. The other part of me wants to wring her neck for how much extra work she is causing for me and shake her so that something clicks in her brain. I know that's really mean. Guess it's a good thing that two weeks from tomorrow, it's no longer my problem! Weeeeeeee!

/bitch fest

Anyway, I think I'm going to catch the news and then go to bed. I don't have to go to work till 2pm tomorrow (thank God) but I'm really tired. It was a busy weekend and for some reason, I've been struggling with insomnia as of late and haven't gotten much sleep the last few nights. Missed church today, too, which really sucks. There were missionaries from the Philippines today and I guess they gave a wonderful presentation. But my dad did bring home all the information needed in order to go on a missions trip there this summer. Total cost that covers everything except spending money and your passport is $2300 dollars. I really want to go, but I don't see how I'm going to come up with that much money in a few short months, plus have enough to cover the loss of wages for the week I'd be gone. Damn car payment and bills! I cannot WAIT to be debt-free! I'm slowly but surely working on it, so yay!

Okay, I'm done for now. Really. :)

5 comments:

jedimerc said...

Regarding travel, I have always visualised what needed to be.. if you really want to go, then something will come up (and if the universe is kind enough to let it). I always advise people, if you have the opportunity: do, for you never know when you will have it again...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, btw :)

Anonymous said...

The Philippines is the only country where I was worried about safety. It ranks highly for terrorist activities (way more than Indonesia).

There are two different seperatist movements, Islamic fundamentalists and mass gang violence all fighting with the government.

If you feel God calling you there, then consider he'd also want you to have experience in missionary work and living rough first.

Unknown said...

I bet you a five minute nude massage (loser has to give to the winner) that even after you quit, you will get at least 2 phone calls to come straighten things up. It doesn't matter if you answer or not, the bet is if they call after your time is up :P

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
egan said...

Good luck with your grand move.