Saturday, January 6, 2007

It Is Finished!!

I woke up at 6am today, got ready, defrosted my car, and picked up Brea (a fellow CNA student and friend) and got on the road to R. We had just enough time to stop at Starbucks (THANK YOU, GOD!) before heading to the testing site. An iced Caramel Macchiato helped kick my brain into gear, which is a great thing as we started with the written portion of the testing.

They set the schedule up for the skills portion of the test by the order in which the written test was completed.

I handed my test in, with much trepidation, third.

That state test was really freakin' hard. The wording of the questions and the multiple choice answers was ridiculous. I honestly don't know how I did on that, but I should know within a week or two whether or not I passed it. With the exception of the four of us that went through the class together in my hometown, everyone there was a "re-taker" - some for the written, some for the skills, some for both. I don't know if I should be afraid or relieved because of that.

The skills part of it went pretty good. I'm hesitant to guess at how I did, but the RN Test Observer told me I did very well and didn't miss any of the criticals. The criticals being things you absolutely must do or it's an automatic fail. So that was a relief, but ultimately, HeadMaster, based out of Montana, determines pass or fail. I had to ambulate a patient with a gait belt (help them walk with the assistance of, what is basically a fool-proof belt), provide denture care, demonstrate a bed pan procedure, including measuring the output and recording it, take a blood pressure, and do the required, proper hand-washing method. Everything had to be done in a particular order (they have it listed in what order and how on the study guide), and you could only be off on your measurements of any kind by a certain amount. The blood pressure had to be within four beats of what the test observer gets (she listens in via a dual stethoscope) but I nailed it perfectly and got what she did. Measuring the cc's of "urine" was also dead on. But there's still a lot of steps involved and procedures to be followed. I'm nervous but...

...I'm not going to stress or worry about it. What's done is done and no amount of worry or stress is going to change the outcome. I guess we shall see what happens!

In other news, I enrolled in my Medical Assistant program November 6th. Today is January 6th and I am officially done. I completed my final lesson/test this afternoon when I got home. They will send me a letter of recommendation as well as my transcript showing all the classes I took and the grade I received in each. Which is fine because I scored 100% on almost all of them and only have a few 95% mixed in (which is one question missed). As soon as I finish paying off my tuition, they'll send me my MA Degree. I can't believe I actually finished and now have a degree (more or less) under my belt.

I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders - I completed something! A very good something and I'm proud of myself for it.

Even if I fail one or both parts of the state test for getting my Nursing Assistant certification, I went through the program, took a chance, took the tests, and stepped out. So I'm proud of myself for that, too.

And no matter what, I'll have my Medical Assistant degree.

It's almost 5:00pm and I am wiped out. My eyes are burning but I'm feeling satisfied, excited, and proud. I can finally say that I did something! I got my degree!

I don't want to stop here with my schooling. But for now... it's enough.

Now there are some tough choices and decisions coming up that will have to be made. Like where I'm going to move, where I'm going to school, if I'm going to complete missions training first or my RN degree. And when all of this is going to take place.

But for now... I'm taking a break; metaphorically kicking back and putting my feet up to relax. I think I've earned it - it's been a grueling last couple of months.

My sister is all moved in - the only thing she has left to get out is her bed, which she's going to do tomorrow after she's gotten some of the crap organized in her room so there is space for it.

Cody's leave ended and he had to go back, but he did make it a point to stop and say bye. And steal the picture of myself posted below that I printed out to test the printer that came with my camera. I think he likes me a little more than as a friend, but like I said before, I'm not looking for a relationship right now.

I'm just trying to get my life together. To be honest, I think I've taken some really strong, positive, steps in the right direction over the last couple of months. And it culminated in today.

Now, I need to go find something to do before I fall asleep and end up not being able to sleep tonight. My sleep schedule has been pretty messed up; I'm trying to get it regulated again!

I'll catch up on your journals later tonight or tomorrow afternoon, depending on when the four rugrats, Little Shadow included, leave. Hope everything is going well for everyone! 2007 has definitely started off with a bang for me - and a good one at that! :) Thank God is all I can say to that! Let's just hope the momentum carries through the rest of the year.

No comments: