Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Holy Overflow!!!

We have had so much snow in the last couple of weeks, that there is quite a build up throughout the entire town. When it's not snowing, we've had a deep freeze with temperatures getting to -38F at night.

Because of this, our river has risen FEET and is now right below the 5th Street Bridge. Down on 10th Street, the river has flooded the "back trails" and has reached the top of the six foot embankment that has protected the neighborhoods down there for years. Families are being evacuated on Water Street, the state Colorado news channel has been here, interviewing people, taking pictures, and our little town was just broadcasted on TV. My mom and I went down to check out the river today and were just... eerily amazed is the only fitting term that comes to mind.

And just for all of you, I brought my digi and took some pictures to share! Aren't you excited?

Looking to the east:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Directly in front of me:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

To the west:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

After we left the crowds at 5th Street to go check out 10th is when I got really freaked out. There was too many trees and what-not in the way to get a good shot of where you can see the water inching up to people's doorways - but I did get this shot. The water has flooded about 50 yards away from the river and it is only a few more feet from rising, spreading, and getting into the road. Very creepy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

If you look closely, you can see the trees that are getting swallowed by the icy, frigid, snow-filled, flooding river.

It's very beautiful in a coldly majestic way. But it's also incredibly scary when you think about how deadly it could potentially turn if the river is not unplugged somehow and is free to keep on moving. As it is, the town is handing out sandbags to those who live near the river, evacuating others, and everyone is on pins and needles waiting to see what happens. The old-timers are saying they haven't seen a winter like this in 20 years or more. And we thought 1988 was bad? The first year we moved out here, my dad had to dig a tunnel from our apartment to the car - it was CRAZY. Apparently, we're having a more severe repeat.

And because I'm experimenting with my camera still and can't find any willing subjects *wah* you get to see some more of me. Woo-freaking-hoo, I know.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Who me? Huh?

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I heart you all!!!

And now American Idol will be on in fifteen minutes so I must change into my power loungers, get something to drink, and go pile onto my parent's king-sized bed to watch it with my mom and sister.

I haven't wanted to say anything until we knew more, but if any of you who are reading, pray... please keep my mom in your prayers. She's had something going on with her liver for a while - they finally determined today that it is "something abnormal" and she has to go in tomorrow for an ultrasound at 8:30am. She's scared - we all are - and the only thing we can do is turn everything - the problem and our fears - over to God. So if you pray, please do! Thanks :).

8 comments:

jedimerc said...

-38 F? Where do you live, the MN/Canada border? (I used to live up that way, so I have experienced cold like that... brrr..)

Actually, your photos look more like high plains or some mountain valley near the plains, not the north woods :)

Unknown said...

Finally, CO gets enough snow to maybe break the drought out here in Nebraska. Send it all our way!!!

Amber said...

Jedimerc: Hello! Thanks for stopping by and commenting too! :) You're partly right and partly wrong. I don't live on the MN/Canada border, but I do live in a mountain valley - in the Northwest corner of Colorado.

Mike: You can have it all!!! And we'll be sure to give the toilet an extra flush as well! (haha, kidding)

M said...

ooooooo pretty!
..the snow is nice too ;)

Amber said...

Mez, have I told you lately that I adore you?

SuvvyGirl said...

Yay! Another Idol watcher. I don't know what it is about that show but it just sucks you in. I think it's because we all enjoy seeing some people make idiots out of themselves. It reminds us we're not alone LOL
The river pictures are kind of cool. It's amazing what Mother Nature can do. A lot of the weather lately reminds me of that movie "The Day After Tomorrow".

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Hopefully it will be an easy fix whatever it turns out to be.

Anonymous said...

I'm oddly jealous. It is so stinking hot in Brisbane that I'm sweating while writing this comment. It's 9:00am

Amber said...

Suvvy: I hear ya, girly! I really didn't want to like American Idol, but it does suck you in. And I wanted to hate Kelly Clarkson, but now I'm a huge fan. I can't wait until the competition starts!! The weather really has been a bit like "Day After Tomorrow"-ish. I'm sure it will pass though; it's just crazy that our river is flooding in WINTER. Summer it's not a big surprise but dang, you know? I'm sure my mom will be okay... it's just pretty scary. Especially the not knowing part.

Phil: O.o! That really sucks. Thanks for the new-found appreciation of our freezing weather and tons of snow/ice. I'm sure it will stick with me until i walk out the door again, haha. Any time you want a break from the heat though, you've got a friend in Colorado! :)